1) Motorcycles. There are a lot of them. And they drive higgly piggly through traffic. They freak me out coming up the middle of the highway. Geesh! I used to try to avoid motorcycles. I'd stay back as far as possible or pass as quickly as possible. But there's no getting away from them here!
Maybe its that I was in a horrible car wreck flying through the air on the interstate...but I always think of the worst case scenerio when it comes to motorcycles. A small pebble. A little wobble here or there. And then I run over a body. It's one thing to hit a car on the freeway...but hitting a motorcycle. I couldn't handle it. They would have to take me away in a white coat. I'm not adjusting to this one. At all!
2) Drive thrus. Come on! People in Cali have cars. Why aren't there any bank drive thrus? Why aren't there any Starbucks drive thrus? They're all over Ohio. Those peeps in Seattle know they work in Ohio..why not Cali? People have kids in car seats in Cali too ya know! There are random McDonald's drive thrus...and your Jack...whatever restaurants...but I need caffiene!! And a bank every now and then. This one's not easy either! Update - I enrolled Max in a preschool...the only one that had availability. Guess what, it has a drive thru! I can't believe it. It's genius but I still can't believe it.
3) No rain. It seriously hasn't rained since we've been here. One day of sprinkles...and it wasn't enough to send Hugo running. It's been total sunshine for 2+ months. I can live with this one! Update - We're now in the rainy season. It's still been like 10 random days with loads of sunshine in between. I'm loving this one!
4) Shopping mall. I'm in need of a shopping mall. I'll be driving to Concord tomorrow for a shopping mall trip. I'll let you know how it goes. It's 20 miles outside of Emeryville. Seems odd to me coming from the land of retail. I'm adjusting...though it's weird. Update - Now that we're in God's Country (aka Marin County) there are mountains, ocean, the city and...MALLS! Nice ones! Yay!!
5) Grocery stores. I know I've complained about this one but I just haven't found the right place. Yeah...there are Whole Foods everywhere. And the Berkeley Bowl..(which is fabulous in its own right) and Trader Joe's. But we're feeding a family of four here. And $5 for a gallon of milk that lasts about 3 days just ain't happening. So I've been going to BB, TJ's and Pak N
Overall, life is good. Being a SAHM is great. Now if we can just find a house... Update - We found a house! Yay! More of that to come. Now that we're somewhat settled, hopefully I'll post some more!